Just to mention it, there might be another factor with a 3C509 card --
there is a software program to set up the card, to do things like select
the IRQ, I/O address, and to choose (on some variations of the card, at
least) which interface to use (RJ-45, Coax, or AUI).  Maybe this
software setup needs to be done to avoid some of the problems?  (I guess
the 3C509B series attempts to do this setup automatically, at least
under Windows, but the non B series needs to be done "manually" with the
setup software (that runs only under Dos/Windows, AFAIK).

Randy Kramer