Greg,

I think that the USB ports issue as Femme indicated are probably totally
separate to your system clagging out after some idle time.  I would
maybe suspect some highly intelligent piece of hardware that goes to
sleep to save energy then decides not to wake up again.  Do you notice
disks spinning down - anything like that.  How does it look when it
locks up?  Is the screen blank?  Have you tried the old alt-SysRq-rseiu
routine?  Sacrificing virgins?  etc.

Brian