> The Win2k defrag isn't terribly helpful - in spite of having 2gigs free, I
> can only get at about 1gig. How much disk does it need for a lightweight
> install?

Well if you do not need any of the graphical apps you can certainly fit a
fair bit onto 1G. If during the package selection you just check the server
configuration, then the install will automatically set up most of the stuff
you need.
You should also allow for a swap partition. If this computer is not going to
be used very heavily, then a small swap partition is fine. If it is too small
you get disc thrashing, too large and you waste disc space.

> I'm planning to install it on my laptop for now (when I asked my
> earlier question, it was with a view to building a linux-only server on a
> desktop PC). Since I don't really know linux very well, I figure putting it
> on the laptop will be better for learning

As your later post shows- Installing on a laptop is more problematic than a
desktop. The hardware tends to be more esoteric.  I have never done it, but I
think you need to do a pcmcia install.  I'll try to look out some posts on
the subject.

Good luck

derek