OK - a few point I can clarify, although I can't answer all of them.

Obviously I can't read iptables settings 'cause I couldn't see any
reason why local packets would be rejected.  But yes, stopping the
firewall will stop your connection sharing.  This is not just a firewall
to keep things out - it also tells IP where to forward packets.

I wonder could you have eth0 listed as a public interface instead of as
a trusted interface.  I think that your bastille-firewall.cfg file
should read:

TRUSTED_IFACES="lo eth0"
PUBLIC_IFACES="eth1"

Perhaps check that first.