Sorry, the bastille firewall IS ON,
I tried service bastille-firewall stop and some rules scrolled on the screen
=> it was working ():-)

but after i stopped it, I noticed the following:
1- I lost the connection sharing , the win machine cannot see the internet
anymore.
2- I CAN ping 192.168.0.1 <= linux machine from w2k !!

I also noticed something else ( I noticed this a few days ago ) every time I
change the following line in /etc/hosts file :
192.168.0.1     hanan.myisp.com        hanan

192.168.0.1       hanan.homelan.com      hanan   ( chnage the host nam to
reflect the my local lan )
it reverts back to the isp lan @@ ??

does this have to o with DHCP ?? does DHCP run automatically when one sets
connection sharing ?
If somebody kows about a place to read about this network setting and DHCP by
editing the actual files tha need to be edited, I'd like to ge rid of al this
GUI confusing settings.
for I still dont know WHY does control center BELIEVES that I have  eth cards
!! when I only have 2 !!

Hanan AL-Shargi