hi,
did you mount the cd on /mnt/cdrom when adding it as a source? and did you
define it as a 'removable source' i just did this with an old 8.0 cd and the
8.0 packages are showing up in the 'installable' list, if you unmount the cd,
insert another. mount it and add as a source with a differnet name then using
the same mount point doesn't matter as software manager is aware the source
is removable media, as for ftp://rpmfind.net it appears that even though it
mirrors the RPMS directories for 8.1 and 8.2 it doesn't mirror the rest of
the distro files, which include either synthesis.hdlist.cz or hdlist.cz,
these files contain the necessary info regarding dependencies that software
manager or urpmi uses to fetch other files, without the location of these
files one can only add 'local' sources because these files can be generated
for rpm repositories that are mounted locally but not for those accessed
online - like rpmfind.net.  local cd's of mandrake will of course have these
files under the /Mandrake/base/ directory, for online fetching what you need
is a full mirror there are a few mentioned on the mandrake site some will
also mirror older as well as current distros, try defining an ftp source with
the url: ftp.ciril.fr/pub1/linux/mandrake/8.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/
and the relative position of the hdlsi file as ../base/hdlist.cz
i just did this and the mirror at ftp.ciril.fr is added to my sources (only
works for 8.2 since it doesn't mirror 8.1 fully), for 8.1 try:
ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake-linux.com/Mandrake-old/8.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/
with ../base/hdlist.cz

it's always posssible that your installation of software manager is defective
in some way, you might try upgrading it to the latest 8.2 version but of
course you will have to solve dependencies for this manually! read 'man
urpmi' and 'man urpmi.addmedia' for more insight into what is going on with
software manager and urpmi

good luck

bascule

--
One of the most basic rules of survival on any planet is never to upset
someone wearing black leather.