Hi,

Some time ago a kind soul sent me a set of backup scripts which do a
wonderful job of automating a weekly full backup and daily incremental
cycle.  They even restore!  Proved that a fews days ago when I had a
disk crash.

These are launched as root of course, so after having run them a number
of times from a console, and checked that everything worked nicely, I
put the command in root's crontab.  I have since found though, that when
run in this way most of the directories specified are not backed up at
all and it seems to vary from day to day.

So something is different between saying:

/bin/launch-bkups

from a console as root and putting:

00 23 * * * /bin/launch-bkups

in root's crontab.  I've looked in /var/log/cron - logs there don't
report anything abnormal.  syslog shows no errors.  Where else do I
look, or can anyone point out the obvious to me?

TIA
Brian