On Sunday 31 March 2002 10:59 am, you wrote:
> John,
> This fundamentalistic answer is not the solution. We can't wine a direct
> fight to windows! is to powerfull and has lots and lots of money. The
> only way is wining small battles. For example, I started to learn linux
> two years ago, I use it giving my clases at the University with
> startoffice presentations; results:
> a) more than 300 student now know that there are alternatives to
> windows.
> b) All the researchers and grants of my laboratory know linux and we
> have a server runing Mandrake. Most of them have linux in their home
> computers.
> c) Some studend of secondary school, that are in the same class of my
> dougther know that linux exist and one of them has installed linux
> mandrake 8.2 at home under my advertisment.
> d) A private teacher of my doughter has installed mandrake 8.2, I gave
> him a copy and I am helping him; he is planning to install Mandrake 8.2
> as a server in the Secondary School when I teaches.
>
> Results: one new linux user (my ^_^) more than 20 new users; I hope
> those new users will help to create more new users....
>
> This is the way, slow, step by step, without fighting directly windows
> (I have some computers with both system, for example for packages I
> can't still run under linux or for those games my children like to
> play). But If it is runing under linux or there are alternative packages
> for linux, I don't start windows.
>
> Francisco Alcaraz
> Murcia (Spain)

Hi

I think both of your lines of thought are not quite contiguous.

Francisco, this is precisely what John is proposing, a word of mouth
whispering campaign.

John,  advertising works in a marketplace, there is no marketplace for Linux
on the individual desktop, it is free. At the server level most corporate IT
people know vastly more than Microsoft's marketing agencies about their work.
Those people currently running Linux,Unix  systems in a corporate environment
would probably find work elsewhere if forced to use Windows for their
fundamental infrastructure and thanks to the community they are growing in
number. At this level Microsoft will have to produce a better and cheaper
product to have a long term hope of competing.

Regards

Rob