On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:31:49 -0600
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Monday 01 April 2002 03:58 pm, Charles A Edwards wrote:
> > If I reply often enough I will eventually get this right.
>     <hehehe>
> > If you are running 8.2 you can install both libpng3 and libpng2.
> > You should Not install libpng2-devel but have only libpng3-devel
> > installed.
> > It is the devel pkg, when the wrong one is installed, both in 8.1
> > and 8.2, which will case X apps to to either not work or to not
> > work properly.
> > Got it right now.
>
>      I knew you would ;)   Actually when I was runnin a mix of 8.1
> and 8.2cooker, I tried both solutions.  Havin both libs installed, or
> just libpng3 installed and then creating this link
>     ln -s /usr/lib/libpng.so.3 /usr/lib/libpng.so.2
> I had no problems with either way, but in fairness, the discussion on
> the cooker list was that havin both libpng2 and libpng3 installed
> could cause problems, and creating a link was no better.

I run cooker ft and never saw a problem with both libs installed.
The symlnk is fine but where I found a problem with it is that not all
apps needing libpng2 will function properly using a link.
The real problem with either solution is if you have an app that either calls for the
non-installed devel pkg Or has a depend which it expects to use that devel-package and
you end up having a lot of out of sync apps.
In the case of Opera, can't speak for Scirbus, either solution would work, myself
choosing to have having both libs installed.

    Charles