Hi good people..

I have just bought a new 41 gig IBM hard drive for my
old heap of a home server. (IBM 300PL. 233mmx HX
chipset, 160MB ram, TNT2 Video.)

Anyway, I installed the drive, the 300PL saw it as an
8.4 gig drive.. (and thats after I flashed the latest
IBM bios.)
Still, I thougt if it works as an 8.4 that will do..
But the Mandrake 8.2 install saw the full 41 gig and
partitioned and installed accordingly.

All went well, including setting up X and everything
else.. so I had lilo written to the MBR and went to
restart my new install.

No good, it couldn't find the boot record.. kept askin
for a bootable media.

So I tried writing lilo to /dev/hda5 which is my /root
partition, but that resulted in the same thing.. (is
it possible that I can only load lilo to the /root
partition if there is no seperate /boot partition?)
After makin everything XFS and then discovering there
was no way to make a boot disk, I reloaded with
everytyhing as Reiserfs except /boot and /root which
were ext3..  so now the only way to get my system up
and running is via a  boot disk, although it works
perfectly from that point on, including X and all...

How can I got my system to boot from the hard disk???

does anyone know what I could try?

I found some utils on the IBM hard drive site for
this, but they all turned out to be winblows stuff,
even though you could make their disks from linux,
they still wanted to format everything in fat or fat32
and load dos TSR's.. which is not alot of good in a
linux system.

Any help would be wonderful..

many thanks

kindest regards

Frank Hauptle.

PS.. I apologise for not posting much lately, but I
still have not got a domain that mandrake accepts for
posting mail, and yahoo via the web is a pain in the
tookus.. so I only post now when I'm desperate, at
least until I find a good easy method..

thanks again..... :-)