On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:30:50 +0200, Roman Korcek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Sridhar,
>
> > I loaded gdict (I would assume that this would work with kdict as well),
> > which is set to use the server dict.org on port 2628. I then entered the
> > word"defenestration" (without the quotes). Here's what I got:
>
> > defenestration n.       mythically from a traditional Czech
> > assasination method, via SF fandom 1. Proper karmic retribution
> > for an incorrigible punster.  "Oh, ghod, that was _awful_!"  "Quick!
> > Defenestrate him!"  2. The act of exiting a window system in order to
> > get better response time from a full-screen program.  This comes from
> > the dictionary meaning of `defenestrate', which is to throw something out
> > a window.  3. The act of discarding something under the assumption that
> > it will improve matters.  "I don't have any disk space left."  "Well,
> > why don't you defenestrate that 100 megs worth of old core dumps?"
> > 4. Under a GUI, the act of dragging something out of a window (onto
> > the screen). "Next, defenestrate the MugWump icon."  5. The act of
> > completely removing Micro$oft Windows from a PC in favor of a better OS
> > (typically Linux).
>
> > Can anyone verify this?
>
> Which part would you want to be verified? The Czech "assasination
> method", that's true, however I wouldn't use the word "assasination".
> Defenestration was an act in which angry citizens threw the "lords" or
> "aldermen" (can't think of a better translation) out of the windows of
> the town hall. As this act has proved effective it has been practised
> a few more times.
> The term itself is probably derived from the German word "Fenster"
> (window).
> Actually, the text you posted is an exact copy of what is found in the
> Jargon File, http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/entry/defenestration.html .
>
> HTH
> Roman

By "verify" I was simply asking if anyone could reproduce my odd results. I know
what the word really means (as you have explained above), but I was quite amused
to see this "definition" on the main dict protocol server. I thought this might
be some kind of joke on the part of the dict.org developers.

I've worked it out now. I had gdict set to search a variety of databases, which
includes both The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing and The Jargon File. The
definition I received was derived from those.

So I guess the joke's on me then ;)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                   It's not a bug, it's tradition!