Robin wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 11:07, Oder wrote:
>
>>I have recently installed MDK 8.2 on my toshiba satellite 1800-s208 - intel
>>celeron 1.1GHz with DVD-ROM/CD-RW. Installation went smoothly but I still
>>have some problems:
>>when I run xine, it appears for a second and then vanishes;
>>

>try run it from a terminal, it will say something there if there was an
>error
>
>>in the desktop I have 2 icons of floppy - Floppy and Floppy2 - why Floppy2?
>>in the boot session I have winxp, linux and linux-nonfb - what is it
>>linux-nonfb?
>>

>I believe nonfb means no frame buffer, with frame buffer you can run
>text console with different resolution. Not all video card supports it.
>
>>what program do I need for DVD and CD-RW?
>>Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. Oder
>>
>>----
>>

>>Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
>>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>>

>Robin

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, I am getting a DVD/CDRW to play with, so we will see.  _Some_ IDE
DVDs will not function properly under ide-scsi, a methos that makes an
ide device emulate SCSI (which is necessary to make cdrecord work, a
program that is behind all the Graphical frontends in linux for CD burning)

It is likely that you can make a dual-boot situation for the SAME
system, one in which hdc=ide-scsi is in the LILO append line for making
CD-Rs or CDRWs and another in which the Append line has hdc=ide-cd for
viewing DVDs...

(And for both the entry in /etc/fstab for /mnt/cdrom has the stanza
dev=/dev/hdc in the options)

I hope to find a way of integrating this, but right now it seems to be a
serious deficiency in some DVD players that they will not function
properly under SCSI emulation (Several DVD players do well in SCSI
emulation mode).

Civileme