On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:22:49 -0800 (PST)
Bruce Zink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Bruce Zink wrote:
> >
> > >Hey;
> > >
> > >    I'm having trouble getting 8.2 to install on my
> > >machine.  I'd like to try 8.0 or 8.1, but the
> > Mandrake
> > >download site only points to 8.2, 7.1, and 8.0 for
> > >PPC.  Where do I find the others?
> >

> > What sort of machine?
> >
> > Did you try booting from CD2 and selecting an
> > alternate install image?
> >
> > 8.2 is far better than the other two, and most
> > problems we have seen is
> > that a machine will not read well what another
> > burned (wither media or
> > the devices preparing or reading it).
> >
> > You can find older ones at a limited selection of
> > sites like ftp.proxad.net
> >
> > Civileme
>

> I'm working with and IBM Aptiva, AMD K-6 350 MHz,
> 192MB RAM.
>
> I've tried installing 8.2 and 8.1 now (thanks for the
> help, guys) and will soon try 8.0.
>
> Both 8.2 and 8.1 boot, ask if I want to install, and
> then tell me they are "Unable to uncompress 2nd stage
> RAMdisk" because of some sort of hardware error.

Additional info would be apreciated ;) Maybe a corrupted download (check the
md5sum), badly burned CD (IIRC a burn speed of 4X is recommended) or problems
reading the CD correctly (try another, _no_ 'high rotation speed' one)?

> 7.1 installed without any problem.
>
> Yes, I did burn the CDs on another computer.  Anywork
> around there that you can think of?
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "booting from CD2
> and selecting an alternate CD image."  Where can I
> read about that?

Well, you tried to install 8.2 by letting the system boot from your CDROM
with CD1, now try the same with CD2, it should give you some extra options
to get the install to proceed :) HTH,

    -Frans