On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 14:18, civileme wrote:

> 8139too is compiled into the kernel as a module--you should not have
> needed it at all...

OK, Mandrake 8.2 does not recognise my NIC, which is a Surecom
EP-320X-R. It lists it as an unkown PCI device in the control centre. A
driver (fealnx.c) was included with it on a floppy, but it seems really
old and doesn't compile at all for me. I've read that this card doesn't
work particularly well with 8139too, so I would have preferred to be
able to use the rtl8139 driver because I've read that has better
results. I just have no idea how to do this, really, because I've been
using Linux since RedHat 5.2 but I've never tried networking with
another computer before, and being in Australia I have a dialup
connection, as most people here still do (stupid 3GB/month download
caps, etc. whine whine).

Any tips about setting this up?

> I would say save your data and do a fresh install, then

Is this problem really likely to be from doing an upgrade? Most things
seem to be running fine, and I'm pretty much out of disk space on my
other partitions, and I don't have my cd burner working under linux
yet.... It's not impossible for me to back up my data but I'd rather not
have to if I can avoid it.

> chkconfig --del alsa
>
> and edit /etc/modules.conf
>
> to plug in the OSS driver for your sound card.  (Look in
> /lib/modules/(kernelnumber)/kernel/drivers/sound)
>
> and
>
> alias sound (modulename without the .o)

I wanted to replace the OSS driver with the ALSA driver, not the other
way around. I've done this before, and the ALSA howto is very nice... my
only problem is the unresolved symbols errors when I try to insmod the
driver module. Is there a simple way of fixing this?

Thanks for your help so far :)

Lisa Evans