(Actually, that subject line should be *utter* newbie)

   I've taken the plunge here, and installed ML 8.2 on another machine, one
that I hope to eventually use to replace my present Windoze server system,
but have already hit a stumbling block head on.

   My present server system runs under 98SE, and contains those servers and
user files for my domain and the subdomains I host.  It also contains the
3COM NIC that hooks to my DSL modem, along with a secondary NIC for the LAN.
The new Linux system was previously a 98SE client system, and things worked
about as well as they ever do under the Win32 platform.

   My intention is to use the Linux system as my primary server, and move
the user files and so forth to it, as well as make use of it's FTP, mail,
and http servers to host my domain and clients.  This is where I am running
into problems.  I need to be able to network the new box into the existing
setup, so that I can test things before making these changes, and to be able
to transfer the existing user files over to their new home, but... I am
unable to make the Linux system connect to the winbox.  I'm using the same
IP address and subnet mask that I used with the system when it had Windoze
installed on it, but it refuses to connect now, and I am not nearly
experienced enough with Linux to know where to start looking for clues as to
the how's and why's of this procedure.  No doubt, I've not installed
something needed, or have otherwise overlooked the obvious, and was hoping
that some kind soul here could give me a boot in the right direction as to
what I need to set up to at least get the two systems to talk to each other,
perhaps a tutorial somewhere that could lead me in the right direction.

   Many thanks in advance, and apologies for my blatant ignorance on the
topic.  ;c)

Belgarius Mourngrym
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---