On Friday 12 April 2002 14:03, Belgarius opened a general hailing frequency
and transmitted to all open stations:

>    My intention is to use the Linux system as my primary server, and move
> the user files and so forth to it, as well as make use of it's FTP, mail,
> and http servers to host my domain and clients.  This is where I am
> running into problems.  I need to be able to network the new box into the
> existing setup, so that I can test things before making these changes,
> and to be able to transfer the existing user files over to their new
> home, but... I am unable to make the Linux system connect to the winbox.
> I'm using the same IP address and subnet mask that I used with the system
> when it had Windoze installed on it, but it refuses to connect now, and I
> am not nearly experienced enough with Linux to know where to start

starting very basic, http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cmlan.html

however, what do you by "it refuses to connect"?  can you ping the box?  can
you see files either direction?  what are you using to attempt to see
files?

more info!  mandrake mailing list users want to know!  :-)

if you can ping both ways, let me suggest komba2 for your filesharing needs.
it is on the cds i believe.  samba is also your friend.  if you can't ping,
try, in a shell window, becoming root first with the "su" command then
"ifconfig" and tell us what you get.

--
"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/