Brian York wrote:

>Does anyone know how to shutdown x windows after it is started. I can change
>the login in but 98 percent of the time i want to start x anyway
>
>Thanks
>Brian

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well go to www.civileme.com

Open the "Software" folder

Download Xtart  (not the rpms, just the simple file)

Read it over if you like--the file is text.

Save it at /usr/bin/Xtart

Now set your runlevel to 3 using Mandrake Control Center, and reboot.

You will come up in console--just login as your normal user name.

Type "Xtart" without the quotes.

You will get a menu of all X window managers installed on your system.

If you type in a single 0, X will start WITHOUT a window manager, just a
single xterm (you can use things that don't start X from there. like
'startkde').

If you type in any other string of characters, the first match of in the
left column will be selected....

e.g. Type 'En' without quotes and it will match

04Enlightenment

or use '04' if you prefer.

Now you are running in X--you can stop at any time by ctrl-alt-backspace
or by logging out in the normal way.

Of course, if you just want a console, you can use ctrl-alt-Fx where x
is between 2 and 6 (yes the numbered function Key) and you will be in
console with X running on ctrl-alt-F7  (It launches from the console at
ctrl-alt-F1, so I don't recommend using that).

Civileme