Brian York wrote:

>Do i need to repeat my self i want my computer to start up normaly with
>graphical login. Downloading the xstat would be more trouble than just using
>the terminal login and typing xstart.

I gave you a couple of alternatives in my post, not just Xtart.

The point is, you don't really need to stop X to do console work.  You
can either start from the console all the time or you can start from X.
 If you don't want X to come back after you logout....

Ok to just stop X bring up an terminal window, use su to become root

ps ax | grep X

look at the list and find the process id of the Xserver, then

kill -9 (number you got from the list)

and X will die immediately, leaving you in an interesting state.
==============================

You have to change the runlevel to 3 instead of 5 for a proper shutdown of X

It is _theoretically_ possible to stop X if you change the last line of

/etc/inittab

to prevent the respawning of the graphical login--say change it to
"telinit 3" after the colon, but then getting back into X could become
problematic.
I wrote Xtart for your situation, and it (an old version) is on your CD,
but basically there is no way to stop X (uncatastrophically) without
changing runlevel, and doing that is not without hazards.

So you have the information.  If a 2k download is too much for you, just
use the old one, on your install CDs since 8.1.

Civileme