Hi, I've just installed 8.2 but am generally new to Linux having only
used Redmond Linux before. During setup my soundcard wasn't configured
properly and the setup told me to run sndconfig later on. So i did that
and the ISAPNP Probe Results found my sound card:

Model: Crystal Codec:GAME

The first sound card test was ok and i heard the sample sound fine. But
when it did the second sound card test for the MIDI sample it returned:

modprobe error
The following error occurred running the modprobe program:
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/opl3.o.gz:
init_module: No such device
modprobe: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/opl3.o.gz failed
modprobe: insmod synth0 failed

It offered me the chance to do all the setting manually, but i don't know
what they are. So my questions are: what does the above error mean and if
i have to set it up manually then how do i find all the settings for it?

Also, the strange thing is that for the rest of the session after i have
run this, the sound card works fine, so i know it works ok, but then i
have to run sndconfig again next time i log in, which is quite often at
the moment as my modem is not supported yet, but thats another story!!

Cheers in advance and thanks to all the mandrake people for a cool distro

Matt