On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:11:52 GMT
Matt Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Frans,
>
> Ok, so i have done all the things you suggested, but to be honest i'm not
> to sure what i'm looking for in the 'cat /proc/isapnp'.  I'll put it at
> the bottom of this message so if some kind person decided to help me out
> you can see it but everybody else can ignore thee long post!
>
> The '/sbin/lsmod'shows:

<snip>
> ad1848 21408 0
> sound 57292 0 [ad1848]
> soundcore 4068 2 [sound]
<snip>

I don't think you had sound working at that moment...

> The /etc/modules.conf file shows:
>
> alias autofs autofs4
> alias usb-interface usb-uhci
> alias sound-slot-2 ad1848

OK, as root, replace the line above with:
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
post-install cs4232 modprobe opl3 io=0x388

Remember the opl3 module sndconfig complained about :)

After a reboot sound should work without running sndconfig every time.

If you're interested you can read about your soundcard driver in:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-6mdk/Documentation/sound/CS4232. It's in the
kernel-source RPM package.

> alias char-major-81 bttv
> alias /dev/ttyHCF* hcfserial
> alias char-major-240 hcfserial
> alias /dev/ttyCUA* hcfserial
> alias char-major-241 hcfserial
> alias /dev/modem hcfserial
> options hcfserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 pcivendorid=0x14F1
> pcideviceid=0x1035

Uhm, I wish you the best of luck with your winmodem ;) An external modem
would avoid a lot of problems for you.

> Ok, so sorry this is so long, but if anyone can help this newbie, i'll be
> very greatful and can move further away from uncle bill!!

You provided very useful information! About MIDI, if you have the relevant
packages installed, in KDE you have K -> multimedia -> sound ->
midi synthesizer. You can play the file /usr/share/sndconfig/sample.midi,
that's the one sndconfig didn't let you hear ;)

There is also K -> multimedia -> sound -> midi and karaoke player. To use it
click settings -> midi setup and choose Yamaha opl3 - FM to use the FM
synthesizer to play midi (or choose the external MIDI port if you have an
exteral synthesizer). I think the quality is much less than the first program
which uses sofware for sound synthesis and not the onboard hardware FM
synthesizer.

> Cheers again
> Matt
>

> "cat /proc/isapnp"
>
> Card 1 'CSC4236:Crystal Codec' PnP version 1.0 Product version 0.5

The line above tells me what soundcard you have.

> Logical device 0 'CSC0000:WSS/SB'
> Device is not active

That's why I think you hadn't (re)run sndconfig and had no working sound.

> Active port 0x534,0x388,0x220
> Active IRQ 7 [0x2]
> Active DMA 1,3

Ports, IRQ, DMA ...