Javier Marcet wrote:

>Hi mates,
>
>  I have grabbed the three Mandrake 8.2 ISOs from a near FTP mirror. I
>made space on my HDs to do a fresh installation. I booted the computer
>from the first CD and started an expert installation (it's been like 6
>months  that I have not used Linux, but I do know it). Everything goes
>fine up until I finish choosing the packages and the install script is
>about   to  calculate  the  expected  time to finish the installation.
>Here,  the  computers halts. It locks completely. I wonder if there is
>any known problem with the default kernel used on the 8.2 installation
>and anything I have on this PC. This is the configuration:
>
>  ASUS A7V133 with on-board unused Promise ATA100 IDE
>  Athlon 1Ghz
>  384 MB RAM CAS 322 @ 133 (256 + 128 SDRAM)
>  AGP  : Matrox G400MAX DH32
>  PCI 1: empty
>  PCI 2: Sound Blaster Live!
>  PCI 3: Hauppauge WinTV DVBs
>  PCI 4: Adaptec 19160 U160 SCSI
>  PCI 5: 3C905C-TX 3COM NIC
>  9 GB U2W-SCSI IBM DNES-309170W HD (id 0 on the Adaptec card)
>  Teac CD-R56S (id 1)
>  Pioneer DVD-305S (id 2) - used to boot the install CD
>  45 GB ATA100 IBM DTLA-307045 as master on on-board's primary IDE
>  PS/2 mouse and keyboard
>
>  That's  pretty much everything I have right now plugged in this box.
>Any chance the is a known problem with anything of the above?
>  I   had   set   up  /  (250M),  /usr (2500M) and /home (830M) on the
>U2WSCSI HD, and swap (128M) & /var (256M) on the IDE HD. I tried a few
>times  choosing  different  packages,  also disabling some performance
>options on the BIOS, but the installation is always stalled when it 's
>about to start copying the archives from the CD.
>
>PS  Since  it's  been some time without installing Linux I am not sure
>about the sizes I chose for my partitions. I plan to configure another
>big  partition  on  the  IDE  drive  to  record DVB audio/video when I
>succeed  installing  Linux  and  get  VDR  working.  Nonetheless,  any
>suggestion for a better approach on the partition scheme I have chosen
>will be appreciated.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

OK, you may have two problems...  One is the CD-R vs the DVD (CDRW is a
much more likely source of errors) and the other is the Adaptec Card.
 Adaptec changed its firmware in a major way in March 2001 and if you
haven't updated the firmware, you may have a problem with the current
driver.  A good test of this is to boot from CD2 and do the install with
one of the 2.2 kernels using the older Adaptec driver.

You could get more info likely from hitting ctrl-alt-f4 for kernel
mesages and ctrl-alt-f3 for the install log play-by-play (ctrl-alt-f7
returns to the main install screen).

Civileme