On 14 April 2002 at 12:55:18GMT -0800 (which was 22:55 where I live),
civileme wrote a few words about "[newbie] Halt on a fresh instllation of Mandrake
8.2":

c> OK, you may have two problems...  One is the CD-R vs the DVD (CDRW is a
c> much more likely source of errors) and the other is the Adaptec Card.
c>  Adaptec changed its firmware in a major way in March 2001 and if you
c> haven't updated the firmware, you may have a problem with the current
c> driver.  A good test of this is to boot from CD2 and do the install with
c> one of the 2.2 kernels using the older Adaptec driver.

c> You could get more info likely from hitting ctrl-alt-f4 for kernel
c> mesages and ctrl-alt-f3 for the install log play-by-play (ctrl-alt-f7
c> returns to the main install screen).

c> Civileme

Thanks  for the pointers. I ended up booting from a floppy with one of
the alternate images on the CD1, which come with a 2.2 kernel.
This worked fine.
What I didn't know was that I could boot from CD2 to a 2.2 kernel.

I  have  everything  working  right  now,  with my own compiled 2.4.18
kernel.  In  fact,  once  installed,  the  default  2.4.18-6mdk worked
correctly too.

--
Best regards,
 Javier Marcet                     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
 make it shorter.
 -- Blaise Pascal
 PGP Key-ID: 0xCAAD7064 | PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendPGPKey
 Using The Bat! 1.60c under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600