On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:00:03 +0100
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 18 April 2002 14:20, you wrote:
> > >
> > > of the suggestions worked for me. Do you think you could send me your
> > > /etc/modules.conf  file so that I can compare it with mine.
> > > My condigureKDE-info-sound window says:-
> > > Synth device:Not enabled in config
> > > Midi dev:      Not enabled in config
> > > If this means modules.conf then none of the suggested
> > > unmute aliases have worked for me.
> > > Seems the alsa sound driver is running and,
> > > configure-KDE-System-kernel conf-sound-VIA82c686
> > > audio codec+Midi are both "ticked"
> > >
> > > None of us here are making much headway, there is something else
> > > not being mentioned, that needs to be configured that you know of
> > > and take for granted , that we do not.
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > John
> >
> > I don't know what else needs to be configured. Here's my /etc/modules.conf.
> >

> > alias usb-interface usb-uhci
> > probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> > alias eth0 tulip
> > # First, remove the association made during installation:
> > # alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio
> > # Then add:
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-via8233
> > post-install snd-slot-0 snd-pcm-oss
> >
> > # Stuff from sensors-detect
> > #
> > # I2C module options
> > alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
> > options adm1021 ignore=0,0x18
> > # End of sensors-detect.
> >
> > Narfi.
> Thas lines under 12C module options are nothing to do with
> sound are they ?
>
> John
> --
> John Richard Smith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No, they have not ;) However you're running ML8.2 I think. It has OSS and
ALSA 0.5.12a drivers available. What soundcard do you have and what's the
problem? Anyway I don't think sound problems in ML8.2 are solved by using
the latest ALSA 0.9.0beta12 drivers (I remember an earlier mail about trying
that ;) ).

Installing the ALSA 0.9.0beta12 drivers can be done though there are some
'tricks' needed with ML8.2. Since ALSA 0.9 has been incorperated in
the Linux 2.5.x development kernel series audio developers should certainly
use ALSA 0.9.0beta because it has a different and better API then ALSA 0.5.x.
Also, for _some_ high-end cards (notably the RME Hammerfall) using the latest
ALSA 0.9.x series drivers is highly recommended. HTH,

    -Frans