On Sunday 21 Apr 2002 8:23 pm, Jesse Angell wrote:

> Is KDE3 included in mandrake 8.2.. If not, how hard is it to upgrade
> it..

It's not. But it turns out to be straightforward to upgrade thanks to a
little bit of magic from Mandrake (the urpmi command):

i. Go to a download location for the Mandrake packages via:

http://download.kde.org/stable/3.0/Mandrake/

then the 8.2/RPMS/i586 directory on the server you're automatically
directed to.

ii. Download _every_ package there - I think there are currently
thirty-four of them - to a directory. Don't pick and choose the
packages; the next step may not work if you do so.

iii. Go to a shell, log in as root (su then <root password>) then do:

cd <the folder you downloaded everything to>
urpmi.addmedia kde3 file://<full pathname of that folder> [1]
urpmi *

And, after about 10 minutes, KDE3 will be installed. Log out of KDE2
(Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and log back in again, picking 'KDE3' from the
drop-down list of window managers on the login screen. That's all.

Alastair

[1] for example, I put the files in /home/alastair/kde3 so the commands
would be

cd /home/alastair/kde3
urpmi.addmedia kde3 file:///home/alastair/kde3

--
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
http://www.unmetered.org.uk/