On Sunday 21 April 2002 06:28 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 09:27, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > Michael wrote:
> > > I thought double spacing was outdated anyway in modern business
> > > communications. Still personal preferences are what life thrives on.
> >
> > Hmm, I'm on the old side, but I never saw any reference to double
> > spacing being outdated except in Internet / HTML / computer related
> > discussions -- it makes me suspect that somebody decided putting two
> > spaces after the punctuation ending a sentence would be too difficult
> > for a computer to deal with (or didn't even know it was the established
> > practise) and simply ignored it.  (KISS?)
>
> I agree with your suspicions Randy; with the qualification that perhaps
> it had a little more to do with people than computers.
>
> > That suspicion sort of destroys my faith in computers / programmers.
> > (Well, it might have been destroyed before then ;-)
> >
> > (sorry, not intended to sound like a rant)
> >
> > (Two spaces are still used in all the business correspondence I send and
> > receive.)
>
> I've also been using two space sentence endings in all my emails,
> correspondence, business letters, reports, etc etc for years because it
> is the correct method, and I've never had a problem with "rivers of
> white".  I note that most other recent books that I have here on the
> shelves also have the correct sentence end spacing also; including
> Kernigan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language."
>
> This two space controversy sounds much like what I've heard this before;
> newer is good, old is bad.  Only the new concepts should exist, and are
> not compatible with the stuff that evolved from the past; GUI's are more
> advanced than CLI's; music of this generation is better than the last
> generation's crap, blah blah blah ad infinitim.  For me, some sentence
> separation is easier to read as opposed to run-on sentences.
>
> > Randy Kramer
>
> LX

Something else to consider.  When a letter crosses my desk, my first urge
before reading is to throw it away.  Traditional appearance could well make
the difference.  Us old timers are comfortable with 2 spaces.

Then there are days when everything goes in the round file.  After all, if
it's really important, they'll try again.

Lee