|-----Original Message-----

I've been to OZ thank you. The AMD's "wicked witch" drove me back to
P4's.

What am I talking about? Surely not the wondrous AMD processor itself?

No. It's a fine beasty in and of itself, primarily due to it's cache.

Sadly the support chip manufacturers (Via, Ali, etc.) have a serious
uphill learning curve to overcome.

So if you want to say use 3D Gaming glasses, TV cards, many peripherals,
the AMD's are problematic thanks to these people.

Huh? You grunt. What does this fool pretend to know?

The clock timer problem with motherboards using Via, Ali, etc. causes
both DMA and video problems. (Linux complains about it if you enable
debugging in the logs).

TV cards will not work as they must perform DMA "push" transfers, which
are upset by the clock timer bug. This same sporadic timing causes
"flashing" when using 3D glasses and NVIDIA's wonderful drivers.
Both problems go away when the same hardware is transferred to P4/Intel
boards. Low latency audio cards are also affected, as are WinModems
(heh, heh, heh... Winmodems are EVIL!)

Similarly Creative and other manufacturers have also had to issue
workarounds for identical problems.

Professional level audio software producers (such as Native Instruments,
etc.) also caution users to stay away from the AMD processors for the
same reasons.

Too bad, because this is really NOT AMD's fault.

(Though I'd like to see AMD mimic Intel's thermal protection circuitry,
which is sadly lacking on their CPU's.).

I clicked my heels together and awoke back in Intel Land, sigh.
Though I'm still rooting for AMD, things are still not ready for prime
time.

My $.02, and worth every penny!

-JMS