I am using a modem based on the PCTEL HSP56K.  The driver I'm using was downloaded
from Jan's site (http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/pctel).  It is the pctel-0.8.6.  To
install it, though, you will also need the kernel source and header files installed.
Untar it and then su to root. Next from the pctel-0.8.6 directory (it was created when
you untarred it), issue the command "./configure --with-hal=pct789" (without the
quotes).  Nexts, assuming there weren't any errors listed, type "make" (again without
the quotes).  Again, assuming there are no errors, type "make install" (once again, no
quotes).

Assuming you didn't get any errors, you should try typing "insmod pctel" followed by
"insmod ptserial" (no quotes).  If you didn't get an error message, then all is well
and you are almost done!

You need to add the following lines to the /etc/modules.conf file:
        # for pctel modem
        alias char-major-62 ptserial
        below ptserial pctel
        # country code for pctel modem
        options ptserial country_code=13

Now, one more step. Still as root, issue the command modemconf.  This will start
Mandrake's modem configurator.  It won't find your modem, so the "Unknown" option will
be checked.  That's fine, simply hit the detect button and Mandrake should find it on
ttyS15 (I think).  Once it finds it, modemconf will point /dev/modem to it and you
should be able to use the modem without problem.

BTW, once you are done installing and testing that this works, you can uninstall the
kernel source and headers.

If you run into problems or get error messages, post them and I'll try and help you
out.

Joe