On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:07:27 -0700
"dbota" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have ordered a Sony CDRW to install on a windows/Mandrake 8.1 machine.
> How do I go about getting 8.1 to recognize and use the drive once I install
> it? Can anyone tell me where I find out this info?

recognize it? the drive should be recognized automatically.
however, in order to get it to burn, you will have to add
scsi emulation for it. it's quite simple, it /etc/lilo.conf
you have to look for a line that reads

append="devfs-nomount"

or something like it. you have to add the parameter "hd*=ide-scsi" ( replace
the * with the letter your computer will assign to the drive.
now it should look like this, for example:

append="devfs-nomount hdd=ide-scsi"

until you do this, your drive will work only as a regular CD-ROM

HTH

Damian