I am a Linux newbie and besides installing Mandrake 8.1, I just installed
 RH 5.1 because for a few months I have to run a deadended legacy app.
I am able to logon and start x windows Ok in 5.1 , but I notice during the
5.1 boot
sequence a "Can't open: lib/modules/preferred/module.dep" message scroll by.
I am worried it will affect the installation or operation of the app I will
be installing.

Maybe I should be posting this elsewhere but I thought it might be a generic
Linux issue ...

Can anyone tell me the significance of the error message and what I can do
to fix it?