It works fine with W$ - both 98 and XP.  I have to have them there as I
support customers who use them, but apart from that, those partions
remain pretty dusty!  I am not suggesting that the card is faulty, just
that nVidia may not have put quite as much time into trying their
drivers with the zillions of combinations of hardware that are using
their chipsets on linux as they did under windoze.  I suspect that a
large amount of code in the W$ drivers consists of work-arounds for
various OS botches.  Maybe this makes the doze versions a little more
tolerant of some slight strangeness in my card.

Anyway, I'll try another one and report back.

thanks again
Brian

P.S.  Don't worry - I won't charge extra for the burn-in ;)