On Wednesday 01 May 2002 02:31 pm, Kaj Haulrich offered this for
consideration:
> Thanks Frans - I didn't use the "rpm -q" option, just tried to use
> "locate", result was : "command not found". Then I became root and tried
> "updatedb", but - alas - with no better luck. So I figured it just wasn't
> there. That surprised me somewhat, because I think "slocate" is a fairly
> basic program, but maybe I just unintentionally omitted it during install,
> although I installed most everything. Then I did a "ls -al | grep slocate"
> in the RPMS on all CD's. Still to no avail. So I am pretty sure it isn't on
> 8.2 powerpack.
>
> So let me rephrase : Let's pretend I'm a total and genuine newbie, who just
> purchased Mandrake 8.2 with great expectations. Everything is running like
> a charm. Then one fine day a want to find a file or some files. I use all
> the various GUI's to browse the menus for a "find file(s)" utility, but :
> zero, nada, nil, nothing. - Back to ye ole CLI : no slocate ! - Only thing
> to spring into my newbie mind is from / : "tree -a  | grep something". But
> then, what with the time this takes, I'm no newbie anymore, am I ?
>
> Regards
>
> Kaj Haulrich
> Denmark
Slocate is on my installation and I haven't added anything from any other
version.

Not quite sure which disk it's on (Download Edition) but I think it may have
been disk 2. Package manager shows it installed in: /var/lib/slocate.

I'd suggest having another look.
--
Charlie in Edmonton, AB, Canada
Mandrake 8.2