> House wrote:

  I do have a couple of
> questions the first one which I think is very simple and I am just
> missing it How do you install tar.gz files.
> HOUSE

Sorry the other Q's I can't answer, but this one even *I* know ;)

This is usually is a 2 step installation for Tar's.

type at a command prompt *in a Term, like Xterm*:

tar xzvf /name/of/dir/here/nameofprogramtountar-2.1.0.tgz

OR

tar xjvf /name/of/dir/here/nameofprogramtountar-2.1.0.tgz

[The first set of commands "tar xzvf", are for files ending in ".tar.gz"
or ".tgz".]

[The second set is for a Bzipped file ending in ".tar.bz2" or ".tbz2".]

Now usually this will unzip/untar these files into a directory with the
same name as the program under your "Home" dir.

To compile & install the software we do thusly:

./configure
make
su -c "make install"

[This last line prompts for ROOTs password so enter it here].

If you want to change any of the options of the installer, type
"./configure -help".  Usually you can change the default location with
the "PREFIX" argument too.

*I'm cheating here, i'm getting 90% of this information from a Linux
magazine.  I knew some of the answers but thought it'd be best to be
thorough for other newbs who need this type of thing laid out in simple
& easy to follow recipes*.

Sue me, I'm learning too!

--
Femme

Good Decisions You boss Made:

"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux.  I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert