I don't have experience on HP printers so I can only redirect you to:
http://www.linuxprinting.org

If there are special tricks to get your printer working,
linuxprinting.org usually knows about them.

Cheers,
J.

--
         In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
                                     -- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies