Adrian
I use both, Windows98 and linux Mandrake; I
will never say that windows user ar fools;
windows has good things, but...

- You must pay a lot for it.
- You must pay for each update and frequently
those updates are just partial bug solver.
- Almost every years you should upgrade and
every time you need a more powerfull computer.
- You can't know the source code, there are lot
of well informed sources that think windows
could content some spyware.
- With XP your computer seems to be controled
by windows.

So I am just using windows because some
applications that I need still don't run under
linux, but everytime are less and less.

Linux was problematic for a long time but with
the new releases (mandrake from 7.2 and last
Suse) you have:
- A better desktop than windows
- High hardware compatibility
- Lots and lots of applications even better
thant the windows ones, including both,
opensource and commercial withou source
avalaiblity.
- More and more easy installations of the main
packages.
- Games (yes, also we or our children need
games) Do you know the commercial release of
tuxracer?, I like it so much, as we said in
Spain, ¡es la caña!; Quake III, Age of Empires
(runing from wine), and so on.....
But, at the moment, there are more games to
play under windows than under linux; I hope in
the future this relation will be more balanced.
- Dos emulations: some old dos packages can be
run with dosemu or xdosemu; Windows XP has loss
the capability to run dos packages.

BTW, there will be Staroffice for windows;
nowadays you can download the Openoffice 1.0
for windows also (www.openoffice.org), I have
tested it and run like a charm.

Francisco Alcaraz
Murcia (Spain)