Frederico Figueiredo wrote:

>Hi there.
>I'm able to install Mandrake 7.2 on my Toshiba 1700-500 (Celeron 700 10G
>disk and 128MB RAM) laptop with no problems.
>
>I've tryed installing versions 8.1 and 8.2, and many errors occur, of the
>type: There was an error installing packages: XPTO Go on anyway? If I say
>YES the errors repeat and the installation crashes a few errors after.
>
>This happends in both versions but only on my laptop. I've tryed the same
>instalation files in my desktop PC (PII 233 3G disk and 248RAM) and it works
>fine.
>
>Both versions are recorded in diferent CD's.
>
>Any idea what is the problem?
>
>I really need help since I'm need to update my linux.
>Thanks for the help.
>Fred

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, that is not among the deadly Toshibas, so it should(tm) work.  Try
making media with very fast and very slow burns and maybe you can find a
set of CDs that the drive can read well.

Other potential problems are memory (use /images/memtest-x86.bin) and
your hard disk target.  To run the memory test just dd
if=/mnt/cdrom/images/memtest-x86.bin of=/dev/fd0 on your desktop then
boot your laptop from the floppy produced.  It does a really thorough check.

Oh, one more thing--when you finally try installing make sure you select
the hotplug package if you want to use modems or ethernet cards from the
pcmcia slots.

Civileme