On Sat, 2002-05-04 at 00:42, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> The Register published an update to their earlier article. Read it at:
> MS has backed down somewhat from their earlier position that the software and
> the hardware are absolutely inseparable. Now it's not a legal requirement,
> just beneficial.
>
> Included in the article is a link to:
> http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_tuncom/public/25/mtc-00024074.htm
> Read it, too -- it presents some very powerful arguments as to why the MS
> stance is both irrational and unreasonable.
>
> My 2 cents on this whole deal: Just because it says something in the EULA
> doesn't mean it's legal. The problem is that MS has a lot of highly paid
> lawyers who get their marching orders from Uncle Bill. His agenda for
> domination is a matter of public record, and he has the resources to do
> whatever he thinks that it takes to achieve that end.
>
> On a lighter note: In case you aren't familiar with The Register, this is a
> site that you should check out frequently. Be sure to look for the latest
> BOFH episode. (There's a new one every two weeks.) They're some of the
> funniest damn stuff anywhere on the web, but they do require some
> understanding of contemporary British English.
>
> -- cmg

An excerpt from the URL you contributed:

Microsoft in general may not believe it's a legal requirement, but its
US Education Solutions Group quite clearly set out to convince US
schools that it is, and there's a reasonable amount of evidence that
they have been successful. CompuMentor tells us both that it's "working
with Microsoft Corporation to help both consumers and nonprofits deal
with old computer equipment in the most beneficial way for both society
and the environment" and that it is "actually required by law to leave
the operating system and current license loaded on a donated computer."
Laramie County School District houses a PDF of a "donate flyer" which
seems to have been produced by Microsoft for schools to give out to
donors, and which uses the same wording as the web site. It may actually
predate the web site, given that the URLs it includes seem largely out
of date, but if one school district has misleading leaflets, we'd guess
that many school districts have them.

As you can see, the legality of this has nothing to do with the results
(or money) they are able to scam out of the educational institutions.
Just by intimation that this is a rule, the schools could fall into line
without resistance.

In addition to this problem, the legality of the EULA is determined
primarily by the willingness of the user to submit to the license
agreement.  It is not the job of the government to mandate protection
for people against their own ignorance of the law.  "Ignorance of the
law is no excuse."

It is the job of the people to protect themselves against their own
ignorance, not the government.  It is the responsibility of the people
to be knowledgable about the laws under which they are administrated;
not only does that include state, local, and federal, but most certainly
the legal agreements that they themselves agree to!  I'm not saying that
MicroShaft would not lose in court to you if they decided to prosecute
you, for alleged violation of the terms of the EULA.  Or that the SPA as
an administrative arm of M$ would not lose in court to your case
either.  On the other hand, M$ has gotten thru existing antitrust law
without significant cost to their infrastructure, continuing their
illegal operations, therefore I percieve that either you or I would
present less than a tangible obstruction.  But nevertheless, the point
I've been driving at in this thread was, why open the doors to such a
costly attack in the first place?

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1