On Sat, 4 May 2002, Mark Lucas wrote:

> Thanks for the help, I'll give this a try.
>
> I don't think the problem is actually to do with authentication. The system
> logs suggest that the authentication is OK. The problem is in trying to set
> up a console session over SSH or locally. SSH says it connects OK but the
> server closes the session immediately. I can find no log information on the
> closure which is a pain in the butt!
>
> It's along story how I got here:
> 1. I wanted to install horde/imp to setup a web email system,
> 2. The needed PHP4 with certain options in Apache,
> 3. I recompiled apache with DSO enabled,
> 4. I tried to set up PHP4 in apache, everything compiled OK but the DSO
> module wouldn't load, it complained about a PAM library,
> 5. I found I needed to install PAM-devel tools to make the relevant library
> available,
> 6. I couldn't find pam-devel as a tar ball but thought if I installed the
> latest PAM tar I would be able to extract the relevant libraries.
>
> Somewhere along the line it all failed and I got messed up!
>
>         Mark

in that case you may want to check to make sure the IP address of the
machine you're trying to connect to this box from isn't being blocked by
port sentry. check the /etc/hosts.deny file for the IP address of that
machine. If it's there you'll want to enter that machine's address into
the hosts.ignore and hosts.allow file so this doens't happen any more.

that happens to me at least once every time I setup a new box.

--
daRcmaTTeR