On Fri, 10 May 2002, Frans Ketelaars wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2002 13:13:30 -0400 (EDT)
> Roger Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What would be the simplest way to do a recording using the line in on my
> > soundcard? I'm using 8.2 with a SBLive 5.1 Platinum (with Live!Drive, but
> > I don't feel like tackling that today). Is there software (a simple wav
> > editor would be great) that comes installed by default on the 8.2 download
> > discs? If not, what would be a good one to go get?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -
> >
> > peace,
> >
> > Rog
>
> After some experimenting just now with ML8.2 to get recording working
> I found the sox-12.17.1-3mdk RPM (it's on the download edition) can do
> this (among many other things), see 'man rec'. Don't forget to adjust
> mixer settings ;)

OK, that seems as though it'll work...the man page is not providing a
whole lot of help, though. I tried just "rec track1.wav," with a minidisc
playing on the line in (set at about mid-level on kmix), but when I played
it back, I just heard static...I looked the man page up and down, but
really I wasn't sure what I was looking at...perhaps I wasn't giving
enough information? Maybe I had to specify something that I
wasn't...anyone know enough about this program to point me in the right
direction?

> I'm sure there are GUI solutions but I don't know one now :(

That's fine...I'm pretty happy on the command line :-)

> The audacity-0.98-6mdk RPM (also on the download edition) looks like a nice
> .wav editor. HTH and have fun,

Thanks, man!

-

peace,