On Saturday 11 May 2002 12:22 am, you wrote:

> > > Well, there has to be an initrd.image file somewhere ,it has to
> > > be found and put into the active /boot directory, because it you
> > > don't have one then it's a reinstall job .
> > > Grub is only another form of Lilo , it's where the boot script
> > > goes if you are using grub. I'm a bit rust with grub , haven't
> > > used it for a while, I stick to lilo these days, though there is
> > > nothing wrong with using grub as such , it hasn't been around so
> > > long as lilo and therefore has a reputation with some that it
> > > isn't as good as lilo. but I don't really know that . Each Linux
> > > OS has to have it's own kernel version and initrd.image file and
> > > they all go in the active /boot directory.
> > > You have LM 7.1 and LM8.2 , now I know that 7.1 does not have a
> > > very sofisticated lilo install programme and that is why it has
> > > to be installed first, on the otherhand LM8.2 can do it all where
> > > getting the lilo stanzas right is concerned. Can you get to
> > > desktop anywhere at the moment. Can you read all the the
> > > directories of both OS's from any Desktop . Surely if you
> > > installed 8.2 last you are on desktop in 8.2 at least. It's just
> > > a matter of getting into 7.1 and copying the intird.image file
> > > and kernel across to 8.2's /boot directory, and then writing your
> > > lilo/grub stanza to boot 7.1, and judging from your example ,this
> > > ought to do it. I guess your not getting into 7.1's OS at this
> > > time,  and this is why your not finding the 7.1's initrd.image
> > > file , and kernel yes ?
> >
> > That's a good explanation.
> >
> > I am in 8.2 no problem. I have hdb5 (7.1) mountimg as /home/old,
> > again no problem. No initrd to be found in /home/old/boot/, there
> > is the problem that i started this thread with. Bascule seemed to
> > be implying that it was unnesecary.
> >
> > <snip lilo.conf>
>
> OK,          So you are  on Desktop in 8.2 , and you say you have a
> /home/old/boot, This is not clear to me.

Yes i had Mandrake 8.2 booting okay under LILO.

I had Mandrake 7.1 mounting automatically on boot as /home/old.
I had edited fstab to include it. No initrd file to be found in amongst my
7.1 files anywhere. I had done file searches from within konq on "initrd*"
searching through the /home/old directory structure (recursive searching and
case insensitive searching were both selected).

In 8.2, they are both (vmlinuz and initrd) in /boot, thus i would have
expected to find it in /home/old/boot but initrd was not there.

> If you have the 7.1 OS mounted there has to be an entry in the
> /etc/fstab file of  LM8.2 to get it mounted. This file is read at
> boot time and provided the stanza to mount it is correct you will
> have a mounted 7.1 OS to go rummage around. I suspect that you don't
> have a mounted 7.1 OS in LM8.2. though I may be wrong.

<snip>

I had created other issues while doing package updates. So i decided to
reload 8.2. As i had tarballs of both /home and /root of 7.1, i also decided
to repartition and reload it back on to the old 4Gig drive. Loaded it with
all docs this time and LILO instead of grub. I had a working stanza for
lilo.conf then to import into 8.2. The "vga=788" line was causing more greif,
it turned out to be unsupported under 7.1.

Reinstalled 8.2 (treating package updates gingerly this time, one at a time
and not trying to update ghostscript as it locked up X). With all the docs
loaded on 7.1 i got konq to do another search for "initrd*". Found a kernal
doc that was very informative. As Bascule said in the first place initrd
is/was entirely optional and it seems under 7.1 it was left to the user to
implement if they chose. It is a ram disk image that has various commands
preloaded into it that are used during the boot cycle, then dumped - that is
if i read it correctly.

Anyway copied my vmlinuz-blah-blah across. Installed 7.1' lilo stanza in 8.2
lilo.conf. Typed "lilo" as su and it is away. Still could not completely
recover netscape mail even after installing the /home tarball, but that is
another issue... i know what to do next with that.

I am a happy chappy and i can go back to my security updates et al now
knowing that i have learned something.

Thanks Bascule, and thanks for trying John.

 Michael