NT downloader
-----------------

This is a new downloader programme to me,like many other people, I
had used Getright up until now.

It seems to have  many similar features and is in some ways better.
I like the dialogue windows in particular, they give better blow by
blow detail of what is actually happening, and they can remain open
to view continuously if you so wish it.

NT can handle segmented downloads. It took me a while but I found the
facility to choose segmented downloads, I rarely do more than 2
segments, but it seems that there is the facility to do more if that
is your wish. The one feature about segmenting that I found less
appealing was the lack on information about which segment is
downloading from which URL sites. There is a dialogue to  give some
info but it is displayed in url number form , and I don't have a head
for remembering long numbers, getright would give you a cryptic
little note which includes a note of the localion as well as the
actual web address.

NT has a facility to create a list of Mirror sites on it's own.This
facility appears to use either something called archie.is.co.za ( a
real site ? ) or www.filesearch.ru  and I used it to go look for
these mirror sites for me, it found about 10 , which was not that
great , I know for a fact getright would of come up with about 18 or
more.Still a very useful feature. I still haven't found out how to
get nt to "ping" these  websites in order to create a list of the
best download speeds available, I suspect it can, either it does it
automatically, or it needs to be told to do it for you.

There doesn't seem to be any limit on the number of active downloads.

Now that I have a spare partition set aside for the purpose , I found
that nt was quite happy to download my files directly to a directory
in that spare partition, which is a good thing because if you should
get locked out of your OS for whatever reason during a long download
then all is not lost and the partially downloaded file will be there
to resume upon OS reinstall.

nt also has the means to schedule your downloads .I don't use this
facility much, and I haven't tried if yet , but I should think it
works OK.

All in all, I would say a most welcome addition for linux users like
me who live in a country where the facility to download large or
numerous files cheaply and quickly just is not available, and where
your ISP alone will cut you off on average during a 24hour day,
about every 20 minutes or so.

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]