On Thursday 16 May 2002 08:51 am, darklord wrote:
> > >Incidentally, I read somewhere recently that nVidia _wants_ to
> > > open source their drivers, but they can't... wish I could
> > > remember why!
> > >
> > >Miark
> >
> > Special relationships and binding contracts with SGI and you know
> > who.
> > Civileme

> Love to see them open up - those are the only closed source drivers
> I use here.... ;-(

    Don't hold your breath ;>   Besides the "Special relationships
and binding contracts", nVidia is a major chip supplier to "you know
who."  I seriously doubt nVidia would risk M$'s rath and subsequent
loss of market (eg, video chips for the Xbox).  M$ doesn't want
hardware working correctly on other than their OS.  Not to mention
that M$ could kill nVidia just by slowing info that nVidia needs to
write their Windoze drivers. It's a fact of life that they're willing
to threaten, arm twist, and bully to keep it so.  IMO, a much greater
crime than the integration of the IE browser and Media Player.
http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=technologynews&StoryID=959281
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas