I have stepped up from 7.1 to 8.2. IPChains just always seemed beyond me. Now
i have InteractiveBastille as an alternative i am willing to give it a try.

Is there any newbie traps with answering the complex questions wrong?

Better still is there a really good FAQ for it, or a manual that runs through
what each thing does, why you want / don't want it, when you want it, etc. ?

I have some knowledge of ports, but some less familiar terms (read - huh!)
stump me half way through these things. I then want to back out and find out
what it is talking about first, rather than continue.

I have a desktop that i have loaded many services on (most of them are
running, and i am sorting which ones i should turn off). I do intend to
connect other computers in to this one on a LAN shortly. Also i play with
some web work and having Apache and PHP (even HTTPS) available to the LAN
only is desirable.

Michael