-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of daRcmaTTeR
Sent: Saturday, 18 May 2002 7:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [newbie] Samba issues.

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Franki wrote:

> Its NTFS yes, but two questions.. why would the filesystem
make
> a difference to smb??
>
> and also, I have had this laptop for ages now, and have never
> had this issue before with previous linux installs..
>
> So I am abit lost as to the reason...
>
> rgds
>
> Frank

Frank,

Ok...what it looks like is that string of characters being
appended to the
images file name is actually an NTFS journalized registry
entries. It's
like a direct link to the file that is indexed in the registry.
it would
appear that since win2K on your windows machine is seeing your
samba
shares as NTFS shares and is attemting to copy the file's
registry
information as well as the actual file itself.

I thought that string of characters looked familiar, but I
couldn't put my
finger on why exactly. I have a window xp machine at home and in
the
window temp folder there are folders whose names are surrounded
by curly
brackets, and their names appear in much the same way as those
strange
filenames that you're seeing on your image file names.

I too have samba running and I think a few of the shares I left
set on the
default FS which is NTFS. one or two of the others are set as
FAT32. I
haven't seen any of this behavior...yet.

--
daRcmaTTeR