On Monday 20 May 2002 12:47, you wrote:
> I have a Linux machine with no monitor.  Is it possible not to run X, but
> just a VNC server on screen :0 for access from my XP machine?  I will also
> run a SSHD server so I would be able to restart the VNC server in the event
> of an accidental logoff.  :)
>
> Barry

That's quiet possible. Just install vncsercer on the machine and connect to
screen:1 or whatever.

You do need a telnet or ssh connection to the machine to start it the first
time (passwords and all that) and/or if this machine shuts-down often a shell
script to start the vncserver after booting.

There are quite a few other options to run X on a remote machine, depending
on where the monitorless machine is (i.e behind a firewall or not) and what
it's being used for but VNC is IMHO by far the easiest to set up from XP.