I posted this on the expert list and
got no responses. Let's see how it goes
here. I really like kde....

I have Mandrake 8.1 with kde3 installed. All has been fine until a couple of
nights ago when I decided to scan some pics with kooka. I had problems
with this in 2.x, however tried it. Well my system locked solid, couldn't ssh,
telnet, nothing. So after reboot I find that no users have real access to their
taskbar icons. You can click one, once that one is running, the taskbar seems
locked (nothing but a nice image).
I have tried making a new user, same results.
What do I do to get kde functioning again.
I have deleted relevant items in /tmp. Shutdown system safely. Nothing works

All things work if I bring them up in konsole
So currently I run kde progs through konsole

Brian D. Klar - CVE
OTS
WPAFB