On Friday 24 May 2002 05:06 am, Brian Parish wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 05:38, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 May 2002 05:05 pm, Ricardo Marques wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm having a very strange problem. This problem is occurring in all my
> > > computers. I turn on my machine and after a while the focus of pointer
> > > is shifted to right. When I want to click in a button, I have to look
> > > for a position (move to right side) to click. Sometimes I have to click
> > > outside of button. It depends on of size of the button. It's occurring
> > > with tree different kinds of machines. They have different processors,
> > > motherboards, BIOS, video cards, etc. I'm working with Mandrake 8.2 and
> > > KDE. Thanks in advance for any help.
> > >

> > > Ricardo Marques Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
> > > http://explorer.msn.com
> >
> > Ricardo, maybe you have different processors etc. etc., but I'll bet you
> > have Trident graphics ! - This phenomenon is well known. The solution is
> > simple :
> >
> > You'll have to edit the file "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" as root. In this
> > file, there is a section called "Graphics device section". Find it and
> > then remove the hash-mark (#) in front of "Option  "sw_cursor". (Which
> > means to "uncomment" this option, thus enabling the software-cursor).
> > Save the file and restart X. That's all.
> >
> > For a more "in-depth" explanation, search the list-archive for something
> > like "Trident Cyberblade".
> >
> > If still in trouble, feel free to mail me privately, I'll work you
> > through. But please have some patience, 'cause I'm only on-line a few
> > minutes each evening, CET.
> >
> > BTW  - I find that sig of yours (not your name, of course) disgusting -
> > ;-)
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich
> > Denmark
>
> I find this happens on my wife's laptop (running LM8.2), but only after
> the kids have grabbed it to access neopets.  Once it starts, it seems
> the only way to get back is to shutdown and cold boot.  This is a USB
> mouse, so maybe that complicates the situation.  Am I right in thinking
> that if it works most of the time without any issues, then the sw_cursor
> thing is not a useful option?
>
> BTW, in case it's relevant, the mouse does "get the wanders" now and
> then.  Mind of its own I guess.  Branded Microsoft, so it probably
> thinks it knows where we want to go today ;-)
>
> Brian

LOL Brian ! - Honestly, I don't know if this "offset" applies to other
graphics devices then Trident, but I'm pretty sure it won't harm anything to
try my advice on your wife's laptop. But why use an USB-mouse on a laptop ?
Don't they usually come with some sort of built-in pointing-device ?

Regards
Kaj Haulrich
Denmark