Are you sure your modem is an i810?  I'm pretty sure the modem you gave in your other
post should use the pct789 setting, but if you really do have an i810, then use it.

As long as you are using kernel 2.4.something, you should be okay.  You don't need,
nor do you want to go back to, 2.4.0.

As for getting things from windows to linux on your dual boot machine.  You should
have a directory under /mnt called windows or something like that (unless, possibly if
your Windows 2000 is using NTFS).  If it is there, then you should be able to change
to that directory from either the console prompt or through Konqueror or other
graphical file manager.  That (/mnt/windows) is your windows partition.  Anything you
download there can be copied to your linux partition and vice versa.  Pretty neat, huh?

As for your floppy, chances are it either has some bad sectors marked on it or it was
formatted as a system floppy and has some hidden files.  But, since you can copy from
/mnt/windows, your really don't need it anyway.

The error you are getting with the insmod ptserial sounds like there was an error when
it was compiled.  What I would do is go to the directory where you untarred the modem
driver and type (without quotes) "./configure hal=pct789".  When it finishes, type
(without quotes) "make" and if there aren't any errors type (without quotes) "make
install".  After that, see if your insmod commands work.  If they don't, let me know
either on the list here or email me direct.

BTW, although it is frustrating, the problem you are having, really isn't a linux
problem.  It's a problem with trying to use hardware designed for a specific OS
(windows) on a different OS than what it was designed for.  The fact that linux can
actually use it (well, once you get it installed) is a testament to how good linux
really is!

Joe