On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 03:49, Roger Sherman wrote:
> I use dyndns.org to redirect people to my PC when they type in my domain
> name, so thats not a problem. What is the problem is, due to the nimda
> type stuff, my ISP (Optimum Online) has blocked port 80. Now, I know I can
> change the port that Apache runs on, but since browsers by default go to
> port 80, it seems I can't use my PC as a server for my website
> anymore...which sucks, since I definilty don't want to pay for virtual
> hosting, even as cheap as it's gotten. Hell, even if it was free, I'd
> still want to host it myself...
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this? Is there any way around the port 80
> blockade, where someone could type http://www.rogersherman.com instead of
> having to type http://www.rogersherman.com:newport#?
>

> -
>
> peace,
>
> Rog

Roger,

Sorry - no answer to your problem, but your post raises another question
for me.  From my reading of the dyndns page, I thought that they could
only redirect to an address within predefined domains.  Hence my post
and Civ's reply.

>From what you say above though, it sounds like dyndns could in fact
associate my IP with my registered domain.  So now I'm confused as to
what whyI does that dyndns does not.

I'm not concerned really about who I end up using, just about
understanding the difference.

Brian