On Mon, 27 May 2002, Franki wrote:

> I dont' think dyndns do it..  its a tough situation to be in.. a dns server
> doesn't supply any info on ports. its just supplies the IP address from a
> domain name.. (I don't know honestly if the returned IP can be in the format
> 123.123.123.123:8080 but I doubt it.. (and then any call to any port smtp or
> pop3 or whatever would end up on your web server.)
>
> you need an interim server that can do a port redirect for you... port 80 to
> whatever..
>
> so your server gets called "domain.com" and your website is www.domain.com
> the later is attached to an IP on that interim server and any requests to it
> on port 80 are directed to to port whatever on your setup..
>
> dyndns don't do it.. but I vaguely remember hearing about one of the online
> services that do it..  (had something to do with proxy redirects.. but I
> didnt' need it so I didn't pay alot of attention.)
>
> like I said, any web host can do it.. you can set it up in the web server
> itself, or use a page on a server to use meta tags or JS to change
> www.domain.com to domain.com:8080 or whatever port you want..(even a
> iptables firewall rule can do it..)
>
> its not a perfect answer, but it would work well enough.

Actually, it seems as though all that may be unnecessary now...my ISP may
not be blocking port 80 after all...it might just be my router. Do I feel
silly? Yes. But thats fine, if I can run my website off my own server. Now
if I could just figure out what I'm doing wrong with this bloody
router...lol...