-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Carroll Grigsby
Sent: Tuesday, 28 May 2002 12:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] cannot get modem device ID with cat /proc/pci

On Sunday 26 May 2002 02:23 pm, you wrote:
> Hi, I'm using Mandrake on two computers. On the first, with cat /proc/pci,
> I got vendor and device ID's of the communications controller:
>
>     Communication controller: PCI device 10b7:1007 (3Com Corporation) (rev
> 16).
>
> Using this, I was able to search the WinModem docs on the Web and conclude
> that my modem doesn't work under Linux.
>
> On the second computer, Windows calls the PCI modem "Lucent WinModem", and
> cat /proc/pci returns the bus number, IRQ, and
> Communications Controller Lucent Microelectronics 56k WinModem (rev 1).
>
> No vendor or device ID. I've heard people can maybe use some Lucent
modems,
> but how can I tell which driver I need?
>
> Alan

Alan:
The first thing to do is to find out exactly what modem you have. Linux
drivers have been written for some Lucent chipsets, but others are
not going to work. The best way to ID your modem is to open up the box and
look at the modem. Note the FCC number, and any part numbers that are on the
Lucent or whatever chip. You can go to www.fcc.gov.oet/fccid/ and determine
the manufacturer and model number. Your next stop should be
www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html. Part way down the page, click on the
Download Entire Table link and run a search for the FCC number. If that
doesn't work, try searching for Lucent. You'll also find links to other
information about Lucent-based modems on the first page.
Good luck,
-- cmg